04 February 2009

Releasing Judith?. . .


The first time I read "The Yellow Wallpaper", I was convinced this woman was completely crazy and it had nothing to do with any of her surrounds. I took literal meaning from the text. I was unaware of the circumstances and perceptions about women at the time. The previous readings and discussions in class have helped me to read more into the context and meaning behind the writing, and not just the words itself.

This go around, however, I took heed to the characters and words Gilman used. To me, John's character resembled that of society. He seems to truly be worried and care about the narrator, but still commands a form of control over her, even if only for her medical needs. There is a sense of a double paradox for the narrator when she explains, "[John] says no one but myself can help me out of it, that I must use my will and self-control and not let any silly fancies run away with me" (374). I related this to society of its time and modern time. Society says that if women have these characteristics then we could overcome anything. Yet they have no problem drawing boundary lines for how far our "anything" goes. They seem to care, but do they really?

Another interesting thing I noticed when I was reading was that the story never says the narrators name. Why would Gilman not give the woman in the story a name? John only refers to her as "my darling", "blessed little goose", and "little one". I think this was intended by the author to put the reader in the shoes of the woman; just like Woolf did.

The woman she ultimately sees in the paper is like Shakespeare's sister; every woman who never had the chance to show her intellect to the world. The yellow wallpaper is also a representative of society. Yellow is normally associated with something bright, light and beautiful. For the narrator, however, the paper reminds her of the "bad yellow things" that are hard to describe. The intentions may have at one time been "bright", but are now wearing to a dull and stark cover.

For me, the writting reminded me of Woolf. It only takes one determined but scared/nervous woman to release the voices of those before her who were hidden by that dull cover. The only thing we must do now is creep over the ones who never thought it could be done.



j


1 comment:

  1. Hi! Your blog brings up several interesting points. I like the way you connected The Yellow Wallpaper with the Woolf reading by noting that neither author chose to include the name of the character.
    Also, I really like your last statement about how we have to "creep over the ones who never thought it could be done." This was the one part of the reading I really just didn't understand and it was just creepy to me. Looking at it through your perspective as John being the part of society who doesn't think women can accomplish things really is a great way to think of it. Great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete