20 April 2009

a connection with Omishto

once again, I did not like the ending of this book! something is incomplete and I HATE it!!! I wanna know what happens!!!! is Ama actually waiting or will arrive at the tribe? or is she actually banished for the four years? did the world actually start fresh again?

one thing that was answered for me, however, was the power of place...I think that being in Ama's house helped Omishto root her beliefs, feelings and especially confidence in a way we did not see before about who she was and what she was doing...I don't think the transition was smooth because there are times when she wants to cry and feels weak and alone...and I found it interesting that these feelings were expressed with her sister and Annie Hide...I really wasn't expecting that, especially with her sister...

I also found the meetings with Omishto and her mother really...odd and interesting?...I could definitely see my mother acting the same way...thinking that I was either too young or not ready to be on my own yet...and how that would make her feel...and I don't picture it going too well...it was kinda surprising that Omishto thought about her interpretation of her mother's religion instead of her emotional feelings...

another thing that was interesting was that she called home to say she was going home...kinda ironic...I really feel like her mother knew she wouldn't be coming back to her house...that she would eventually returned to what she left...so why did she have to call at all?

what do you guys think? did you like the book or did it leave questions that you wanted answered? what do you make of the relationships and visits to Omishto in the last part of the book?

1 comment:

  1. UMM I have mixed feelings on this book. I cannot say it was my favorite. It was a little drawn out for me and had a few to many details and I usually love details. I just could not get into this novel. I liked the ending because I thought the style of it went along with other parts of the book but it was really open ended and I would have liked to have some questions answered.

    ReplyDelete